Wednesday 1 February 2012

Healthy recipe of the week


Sometimes when it get's to be mid week, I am tired and lack a bit of motivation to be very healthy. Luckily I always find that if I go back through some of my favourite healthy website recipes, that desire to feed my body nutritious and yummy food comes back. This will be a reoccurring topic each week of a delicious healthy meal that I find inspires me and, yes, I will probably make the dish I pick for dinner that night :) The recipes will be ones that I choose because they are extremely good for your health, mood, body, well being .etc  and I'll also add a little note at the end about why they are good for you. I hope this inspires the healthy desire in you to eat well.




SWEET POTATO CHIPS

 INGREDIENTS 
2 medium sweet potatoes

1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
 
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1/4 teaspoon ginger powder

1/2 teaspoon sea salt



METHOD
Preheat oven to 205C/400F. Scrub the potatoes and cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch / 6-1.3 centimeter thick sticks. In a cup, mix all spices and the oil together. Put the potatoes in a bowl, and throw the oil on them. Toss to coat, then arrange the sticks on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes.


 

 Why is this a healthy meal? 


1. The chips are baked not fried which cuts down the fat
2. Sweet potatoes are:
      - High in Vitamin C, which helps maintain youthful skin
      - Contain magnesium, which is a relaxation and anti stress mineral
      - Are high in iron which boosts your immune system
3. Cinnamon can help reduce cancer formation, increase memory and regulates blood sugar
4. Olive oil promotes a healthy heart, lowers the risk of cancer and helps with digestion
5. Turmeric may prevent melanoma, reduced the risk of childhood leukemia and detoxes the liver
6. Ginger can heal nausea and upset stomachs, prevents colon cancer and helps relieve migraines
7. Sea salt enhances the absorption of nutrients, regulates sleep and helps maintain your libido



What are some healthy quick meals you like to cook after a long day?

1 comment:

  1. Yuuummm I LOVE sweet potato! It's my all-time favourite vegetable, so I'll definitely have to try out this recipe. The addition of all those spices sounds amazing. My favourite healthy-ish meal to cook is cous-cous with broccoli, beans, sweet potato and tofu. Cook it all up in a wok and it is so delicious & tastes great even cold the next day!

    ReplyDelete